Monday, October 27, 2008

Dad...I miss you!




3 years ago February, I lost my Dad to cancer. I struggle with that loss daily because he truly was my best friend. I had the good fortune of spending plenty of time with him while he was sick so I did have a chance to say all the things I needed to say. It has helped immensely in the grieving process. I bring up my Dad today because on Saturday, I got to fulfill a lifetime dream that he and I had...watch our favorite Nebraska Cornhusker football team play at home in Memorial Stadium.

As far back in life as I can remember, Dad used to tell me how one day we would go to a game together and watch Big Red destroy their opponent. Unfortunately, time ran out for him and we never made it. But I do know that he was with me this weekend, I could feel it.

I, like many folks, find myself saying "someday" to a lot of things that could happen today. Life moves fast, especially as you get older and have more responsibility in life. I admit, there are some things that can and should wait, but others must be acted on immediately because time truly is of the essence.

Everyday in my office I meet people that say "yeah, I know I should have been here 6 months ago" or something to the like. Your health, and life for that matter, is to valuable to ignore, put off or postpone for a "better" time. If you are questioning a health issue, don't wait or ignore it. My Dad had a small persistent cough for over 2 years that he attributed to his smoking and never had it checked. I frequently think about how life could be different if only he would have taken time to have it checked. With him, by the time we found the cancer, it had spread from his lungs to his bones and brain.

Don't get me wrong, not every little cough or ache means you are sick and dying, but it is your body's way of telling you there is an underlying problem. And each of knows that if we find a problem early, it takes less time and money to get better. So listen to your body...don't ignore the headaches, the back pain, the tingling in your fingers, the heart burn or whatever your body is telling you.

Life comes at you fast, and leaves you faster. Don't wait until tomorrow to do the things that are important. Thanks for reading today's post.

Please be sure to check back regularly for more insights. In the meantime, why don't you stop by my website at www.lifequestchiro.com and explore! Be Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment